The Ultimate Guide to Couch Pillow Arrangements
Are you looking to spruce up your living room decor? Pillows are a great way to add texture and colour.
One of the easiest ways to add style, comfort, and personality to your space is by arranging pillows on your couch. With the right pillow arrangement, you can transform your sofa from ordinary to extraordinary.
In this ultimate guide, we will cover everything you need to know about couch pillow arrangements, including different pillow sizes, arranging throw pillows on different furniture types, the perfect number of throw pillows, mixing and matching pillow patterns, and the different types of pillow inserts. So, let’s dive in and create the perfect pillow arrangement for your living room!
- The Ultimate Guide to Couch Pillow Arrangements
- Pillows From Calgary Interiors
- Understanding Different Pillow Sizes
- Arranging Pillows on Different Furniture Types
- How Many Throw Pillows is Too Many?
- Mixing and Matching Pillow Patterns
Pillows From Calgary Interiors
If you are looking to revamp your home without a major renovation, our throw pillows are for you! Throw pillows are perfect to add a pop of color, texture, and comfort to any space.
A few new pillows can instantly update the look of your living room, bedroom or study. Easy to switch out seasonally or when you’re ready for a change, pillows make decorating easy.
Choose from our material library or remnant fabrics and add fringes, trim, or pom-poms to make it your own or browse through our in-stock pillows priced at $50.00 and up! We also make inserts with an option of poly-fill, kapok, or down/feather blend.
Fill out this form and let us know you are looking for pillows
Understanding Different Pillow Sizes
When it comes to pillow sizes, there are a few common sizes that you need to be familiar with. The most common couch pillow sizes include 18 inches, 20 inches, and 22 inches. These sizes are versatile and work well on sofas, chairs, and beds. If you have a smaller size sofa or an accent chair, 16-inch square pillows are great options. On the other hand, if you have a larger sofa, 24-inch square pillows can create a larger scale pattern. Additionally, 12-inch square pillows are great for layering and adding visual interest to your arrangement.
Standard Throw Pillow Sizes
To start, let’s talk about the common throw pillow sizes and their uses. The 18-inch, 20-inch, and 22-inch square pillows are the most common sizes used for throw pillows. These sizes are versatile and can be used on sofas, chairs, and beds. They provide the perfect balance of comfort and style.
If you have a smaller size sofa or an accent chair, consider using 16-inch square pillows. They are great for smaller-scale furniture pieces and can add a decorative touch to the arrangement. On the other hand, if you have a larger sofa, 24-inches square pillows can create a larger scale pattern, making a bold statement. Lastly, 12-inch square pillows are great for layering and adding visual interest to the arrangement.
Remember that throws are different than bed pillows and some sofa pillows. You pillow colour palette can really be quite creative when it comes to decorative pillows vs sleeping pillows.
Specialty Sized Pillows
In addition to the standard pillow sizes, there are also specialty-sized pillows that can enhance the look and comfort of your pillow arrangement. Let’s take a look at some of the common specialty pillows:
- Lumbar pillows, also known as lower back pillows, are great for providing extra support and can be placed at the back of the arrangement.
- Bolster pillows, typically long and cylindrical, add a decorative touch to your arrangement and can be placed in the front or back of the arrangement.
- Euro pillows, large square pillows, can be used as decorative throw pillows or backrests, adding visual interest.
- Neck roll pillows, small cylindrical pillows, provide targeted neck support, making them great for backrests or decorative accents.
- Floor pillows, large cushions, are perfect for creating a cozy seating area on the floor, great for larger gatherings or movie nights.
These specialty pillows can be mixed and matched with the standard throw pillows to create a visually appealing and comfortable arrangement.
Arranging Pillows on Different Furniture Types
Now that we understand the different pillow sizes, let’s move on to arranging pillows on different furniture types. The arrangement of pillows may vary depending on the style of the sofa or sectional you have. Let’s explore different pillow arrangements for traditional sofas, sectionals, and loveseats.
Arrangements for Traditional Sofas
For traditional sofas, the pillow arrangement usually starts with two square pillows in the corners of the sofa. These square pillows serve as the foundation of the arrangement. In front of the square pillows, you can add smaller pillows in different patterns, textures, and colors to create visual interest. These smaller pillows can be different sizes, such as 18 inches, 20 inches, or 22 inches square pillows. To add lower back support and visual interest, consider using lumbar pillows in the back of the arrangement. Mixing different patterns, textures, and sizes of pillows can create a visually appealing arrangement. Feel free to experiment with different pillow arrangement styles, such as the pillow cascade or the pillow pyramid, to find the style that suits your sofa and room decor the best.
Arrangements for Sectionals
When it comes to sectionals, symmetry works best. You can start the pillow arrangement by placing large square pillows in the corners of the sectional. These square pillows create a cohesive and balanced look. Followed by the large square pillows, you can add smaller square pillows in different patterns, textures, and sizes. This adds visual interest to the arrangement. For lower back support, consider using lumbar pillows. They can be placed in the back of the arrangement, providing both comfort and style. When arranging pillows on a sectional, consider the size of the sectional and the style of the room decor to create a harmonious look.
Arrangements for Loveseats
Loveseats offer more flexibility when it comes to pillow arrangements. You can mix different patterns, textures, and sizes of pillows for an eclectic look. Start by placing larger square pillows on the loveseat, then layer smaller square pillows in different patterns, textures, and sizes in front of the larger square pillows. This creates visual interest and adds depth to the arrangement. To provide lower back support, consider using lumbar pillows at the back of the arrangement. When arranging pillows on a loveseat, consider the style of the loveseat and the color palette of the room decor, ensuring a cohesive and inviting arrangement.
How Many Throw Pillows is Too Many?
Now, let’s address the common question of how many throw pillows are too many. The answer to this question depends on the size of your couch, the style of the room, and personal preference. Let’s explore the different pillow numbers for large couches and small couches.
How Many Pillows for a Large Couch?
A large couch can accommodate more pillows, but it’s important to avoid overcrowding for the sake of comfort. When decorating a large couch, you can consider using 5-7 pillows of different sizes, shapes, and patterns. This mix of pillows creates a luxurious and inviting look. You can mix large square pillows, lumbar pillows, and throw pillows of different sizes for variety. Experiment with different pillow arrangements to find the perfect balance of style and functionality for your large couch. Remember to consider the size of the pillows, the scale of the pattern, and the color palette of the room decor for a cohesive arrangement.
How Many Pillows for a Small Couch?
When it comes to smaller couches, it’s important to have a more minimalist arrangement to avoid overwhelming the space. 2-3 pillows of different sizes and textures can add a decorative touch without sacrificing comfort. Consider using lumbar pillows or smaller throw pillows to optimize the limited space. Choose pillows that complement the size of the sofa and the style of the room decor. Keep the arrangement simple and symmetrical for a clean and cohesive look.
Mixing and Matching Pillow Patterns
Now, let’s talk about mixing and matching pillow patterns to create a visually appealing arrangement. Mixing different patterns can add depth, interest, and personality to your arrangement. However, there are a few rules to follow to ensure a cohesive look.
Rules to Follow for a Cohesive Look
To create a cohesive arrangement, consider the following rules:
- Stick to odd numbers of pillows, such as 3, 5, or 7, for a balanced and cohesive arrangement.
- Choose patterns that complement the rest of the room decor, such as the rug or the throw blanket. This creates visual harmony.
- Use symmetry in your arrangement, placing the same patterned pillows on each end of the sofa or sectional, creating a balanced look.
- Mix different pillow textures, such as velvet, linen, and polyester, for visual interest and added comfort.
- Don’t forget about pillow inserts, opt for durable polyester inserts for long-lasting pillows that maintain their shape and support.
By following these rules, you can create an arrangement that is visually appealing, comfortable, and complements the style of your living room.
Pillow Insert Types for Throws
When selecting throw pillows and sofa styling, it’s important to consider the pillow inserts as well. The type of pillow insert you choose can greatly impact the comfort, durability, and overall appearance of the pillow. Here are different pillow insert types to consider:
- Polyester inserts are common and provide a plush and durable pillow that holds its shape well.
- Down inserts offer a luxurious and soft feel, but they may require regular fluffing to maintain their shape.
- Foam inserts provide firm support, making them great for lumbar pillows or backrests.
- Memory foam inserts contour to the shape of your body, providing personalized comfort and support.
Choose the pillow insert type based on your preference, the intended use of the pillow, and the style of the room decor.
How Many Pillows Should You Put on a Couch?
The number of pillows you should put on a couch varies based on the size of the couch. For a Loveseat 3 works well, for a 6 foot sofa 5-6 pillows will be the right amount. An extra consideration is the style you are going for, if you want more of a traditional look go with an even number of pillows, if you want a more modern look then choose an odd number.
Remember that it is not just about the number of pillows but also the size of the pillows.
What is the 2-2-1 Rule for Couch Pillows?
The 2-2-1 rule for couch pillows is a simple guideline for arranging pillows on a sofa in a way that is aesthetically pleasing and balanced. Here’s how it works:
- Two Larger Pillows: Start with two larger pillows at either end of the sofa. These are usually around 22 to 24 inches square. They form the base of your arrangement and should ideally be in a color or pattern that complements the sofa.
- Two Medium Pillows: In front of the larger pillows, place two medium-sized pillows, typically around 18 to 20 inches square. These can be in a contrasting color or pattern to add visual interest.
- One Smaller Pillow: Finally, add one smaller pillow in the center. This can be around 16 to 18 inches square, or even a different shape like a lumbar pillow. This pillow is often the most decorative or distinctive, featuring a bold pattern, color, or texture that ties the whole arrangement together.
This 2-2-1 arrangement creates a sense of symmetry and balance, while also allowing for a mix of textures, colors, and patterns. It’s a popular method used in interior design to make a sofa look inviting and stylish.
What is a Lumbar Pillow?
A lumbar pillow is a type of throw pillow designed to provide support for the lower back (the lumbar region) when sitting. A lumbar pillow is typically longer and narrower than standard square or rectangular throw pillows. When you arrange throw pillows on a sofa or chair, including a lumbar pillow can add both aesthetic appeal and functional comfort.
In terms of design, lumbar pillows often come in various styles and can be found with a range of pillow covers, allowing you to match them with your existing decor. The covers can feature different textures, patterns, or colors, making them a versatile choice for interior decoration.
When you arrange pillows on a couch or a bed, incorporating a lumbar pillow can break the monotony of shapes and sizes, adding an interesting visual element. The lumbar pillow can be placed in the center of the sofa or bed, in front of larger square pillows, to create a layered look that is both stylish and comfortable.
Overall, lumbar pillows serve a dual purpose in home decor: they enhance the aesthetic of a space, especially when you use different pillow covers, and when you arrange throw pillows thoughtfully, and they provide ergonomic support in seating areas.